Deck the Halls: Looped Paper Ornament

It’s Wednesday and that means I am back with another ornament for December!

This week I went back to the feather theme (I have a huge bag of them just calling to me!) but added in some paper, chipboard, and other scrapping supplies.

Bird-Ornament-Done

First, cut yourself a pile of 1” strips of old book pages.  I get my yellowed books at the thrift store for super cheap and don’t feel bad about cutting them up and giving them a new life. 

paper-strips

I gathered three strips together and formed them into a loop.  The fastest way to make the loops is to use a piece of clear tape on just the bottom.

paper-loop

You’ll need to form a bunch of these loops.  I ended up using fourteen. 

Punch a small hole near the very bottom center of each loop.  I threaded some string through one loop and tie it so that the string is secure.  Thread each loop onto the string and tie it off when you are done so that it they form a circle.  They will lay all wonky for a while… just push them flat and line them up so they form the circle.

paper-loop-circle

This next part is just a piece of Basic Grey chipboard covered in acrylic paint and Martha Stewart glitter.  I used a paper piercer to punch three small holes in the bottom and hung crystals from them. 

glittered-chipboard

The bird is another piece of Basic Grey chipboard but this time I added a KaiserCraft pearl eye and covered the entire thing in Glossy Accents. 

glazed-bird

It’s glue gun time!!  I wanted everything to be really secure so I hot glued the chipboard to the looped circle.  I added some longer white feathers, then shorter white feathers, and finally a sprig of beaded branch from Prima.  Then I layered on the bird and some Pink Paislee baubles. 

needs-ribbon

To finish it up just thread a velvet ribbon through the top loop or two and tie a bow. 

Bird-Ornament-Done

I really like the soft, non-traditional colors on this and I always love a project with book print!  Thanks for stopping by today to check out my ornament.  I will be back next week with another!

4 comments:

Michelle Hernandez said...

Looks quick and easy= the pay off is amazing looking! Plys- I finally get to use some of that super thick AC glitter paper I've been wondering what to do with- thanks!

Juliana Michaels 17turtles said...

This is adorable Jess!

LyndaKay said...

Oo-la-la...very pretty.

Saby said...

très joli projet !!!
great layaout !!